Lauras Daily Madness

Monday, March 21, 2011

What should you be doing in your garden now?

This warm weather is really getting me excited for summer time! This summer is going to be great because we are going to have TONS of fresh veggies from our garden. We're trying square foot gardening for the first time so I'm hoping we have great results! A few weeks ago we weeded, filled up our other bed we've never used and covered with trash bags:



Here in Oklahoma the official last day of frost scare is April 15 but the planting guide gave me the ok on a few different veggies. I noticed most of them were bottom growing plants.



So we planted carrots, green onions, yellow onions and turnips. For square foot gardening, carrots and onions are both 16 per square feet and the turnips are 6. I planted 2 seeds at a time in hopes that one of them at least would grow.



We also planted sweet peas and lettuce. I planted two sweet peas per square foot along the back so we can build something for them to grow up. And two lettuce across the front to take up the extra space.

After we planted everything, I covered everything back up until they sprout. The black plastic is supposed to help warm up the soil and help germinating.

It will be a month before we can continue our planting but for now, we're excited to see how our first batch of planting goes!

0 comments: