Lauras Daily Madness

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Finally sitting through a book

In my past life I was a first grade teacher.  First grade is a magical time that is primarily focused on learning to read and finding the enjoyment that comes from a good book.  Now that I’m staying at home, my classroom lives in tubs up in the attic. And I have tubs and tubs and tubs of books from my classroom library and read aloud selection.  When I had kids I was so excited to share with them all the characters I fell in love with along with my students.  Unfortunately Rett preferred books that had no more then four words per page and since he liked to rip out pages.. only board books.  Here are a few of his fav board books, I’m sure some of you moms may recognize them from your own most loved library.

 

     

 

So now after memorizing the words to all these we are ready to move on.

The first books we introduced Rett to that were longer ones were of course Dr. Seuss.  Rett’s first story he would officially sit through was Cat in the Hat. At first he would only sit through half of it. But gradually after talking about the pictures with him and urging him to finish the story he sat through the entire thing.  Now he often goes and gets it, finds the page where all the things falls down and comes to show us the big ‘uh oh mess’.  Also it has a fish in it which he loves.

Now we’re moving on to more advanced literature.  This is what he’s sat through so far:

 

 

I really recommend the skippy jon jones books. They are some of my favorites!  I plan on keeping an updated list here on good transitioning books when you are sick of the same old stories but your child still isn’t willing to sit through just any old book. 

 

IMG_0080 IMG_0085-2

IMG_0083IMG_0079

 

Share the love of literacy!

 

Today Ramona released her newest kit ‘Cosmic Adventures’. Image is linked.

 

You can check out her blog here for an even better discount! Today is on sale for 25% off anyway so that’s a real bargain! I love these fun boy colors! I can imagine some adorable birthday cards or decorations made from this one. Here are the layouts I created:

We have some major Buzz love in our house as well.

And here is your freebie for today:

mommysstar

You can pick it up here!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

Ramona said...

What a great post! I LOVE the Skippy Jon books!! They are so cute and sweet!

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 6 post on Jan. 11, 2011. Thanks again.